Are you prepared for winter driving? What should you take with you this winter?
Be prepared by keeping these items handy in your vehicle:
- Spare Winter Clothing & Boots
- Emergency Drinking Water/Dried Food
- Emergency Blanket (& extra sleeping bag)
- Flashlight w/ Batteries
- Weatherproof Emergency Flares/Cones
- Emergency Whistle w/lanyard
- Hand Warmers (Pair), Feet Warmers (Pair)
- “Call Police” banner
- Safety matches
- A supply of Emergency Candles
- Coffee Can – one for candles & on for melting snow
- First Aid Kit
- Many people have their cell phones. But do you keep a car charger for your phone in your vehicle at all times?
- Winter Traction on ice can be enhanced by putting kitty litter down on the ice in front of the tires – but avoid clay based kitty litters, as it will mix with snow/slush and cause mud.
- A small shovel is helpful in case you have to dig yourself out, it doesn’t have to be big but it needs to be sturdy enough not to break,
- Glow sticks can be a handy way to alert emergency vehicles. Tie a shoelace to the end and by swinging it around like a lasso, it is a very effective signal from the ground or the sky.